A few things to keep in mind…
- Your tracking list shows what’s already happened – to track what’s going to happen, you’ll want to know the process and focus on developing good lines of communication and relationships.
- Take time out for a more global view – you want to not just track measures, but keep track of the idea or issue, no matter where it pops up during session.
- Remember to keep an eye out for companions (same bill, different chamber) and similar bills.
- Your tracking list and the status reports are never going to say “this bill is dead” (the closest you’ll get is the bill being “deferred” or “held” with no date indicated). The calendar published by PAR can help you understand the deadlines.
Creating Measure Tracking Lists
The online measure tracking feature allows you to create lists of bills and resolutions you’re interested in, easily view the current status of numerous measures, and create easy-to-read reports.
- Go to the Legislature’s website and click on “Sign In” (upper right corner of the page). Enter your email address and password*.
- Click on the orange “Measure Tracking” icon located in center screen.
- First, you’ll need to create a list. You can name it anything. Just enter the name in the column on the left and then click on “Create List.”
- Next, click on “Show List.” The list’s name will appear in the right column. Then, add as many measures to the list as you like – just enter a bill number in the space and click on “Add a Measure.” Repeat the process until you’ve added all the bills you’d like to appear on that list. You can also “Add Notes” for each item to personalize or highlight items on your list.
- Finally, click on “Generate Report.” Your list can be viewed as a handy report that shows each measure, its description and current status, and contains links to its status sheet and its current draft. (Note: The report is sort-able – just double-click the column headers. This is especially helpful to find out which items have seen recent activity, or to have the bills listed in numerical order.)
- Tip: When printing the report, use the landscape orientation for best results. Save it as a .pdf file if you want to attach it to an email. You may want to export it as an Excel file for further options.
Check your measure tracking lists as often as you like. It’s easy to add or delete items from your lists as session progresses.
*If this is your first time using the interactive features of the website, you’ll have to Register. Click on “Register” (upper right corner of the page) and enter your name, email address, and the password you’d like to use for the website. After you’ve agreed to the terms and conditions, you will be directed to access your email account and open the email sent to you by the website.Follow the instructions for confirming your account. You’ll only be asked to do this once. After that, just sign in and enter your password.